Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Calcutta, West Bengal

Whenever Calcutta (aka Kolkata) is mentioned, the images of filthy and messy streets will surface, and people will think of thousands of homeless people and destitutes living on the street, and not forgetting the selfless Mother Teresa and her missionaries of charities.
Despite my short stay in India, Calcutta was not as messy and filthy as I anticipated. Compared to some of the places I saw in Bihar (the poorest and highest crime-rate State), Calcutta seems to be in a better shape.


This was our room in Calcutta, and this was the place where I got biten by bed-bugs, and where my misery began. =(
.
.
.
"The effect of these bites on humans varies from person to person, but often cause welts and swelling that are more itchy and longer-lasting than mosquito bites. Some people, however, have little or no reaction to bedbug bites."
.
.
.
Among the three of us, only Hanyang was unaffected. I had greatest reaction with 150-200 bites all over my body at one point (with 50 bites alone just on my right hand). It was damn itchy and frustrating!!!



Street of Calcutta

Boy scavenging in the rubbish heap.
.
.
.
Initially, when I saw people scavenging in the heaps of waste and rubbish I was feeling abit sad. But after a few days of traveling, I got more used to the sight. Sometimes, I am wondering if getting used to these sights was okay? But what can I do? What am I willing to do?

I compared it to watching news. Previously, when there was a terrorist attack, it was a big news. But now, I would be surprise if I do not hear a terrorist attack.

My conclusion is that people are so adaptable that they would get numb or used to sensational news or sights.



I like the aloofness in this picture.
Just sleep, and don't give a damn to your surrounding.




The Laughing Club.


Woke up early at 5am in search of the laughing club in their huge park.
We only managed to join in the the last 15mins of the exercise, and I think that if I practice it regularly, this laughing therapy would benefit my health. But I can imagine that if I practice in the park near my home, people will think that I am SIAO (-crazy!!!).

When I saw the first group of guys practicing it, it was kinda hilarious to see a group of grown up men gathering in a circle to laugh.

Well, as the saying goes - Laughter is the best medicine.
Woo...Hahaha...




One of the slumps in Calcutta...






Victoria Memorial
Before the capital was moved to New Delhi, Calcutta is an old capital of British Administration and has quite alot of colonial architecture.



Colourful Market place





Missonaries of Charity & Mother Teresa
.
.
.
"In 1952, she opened Nirmal Hriday (or Pure hearts), a home for the dying. On the very first day, Mother Teresa picked up a woman literally half-eaten by rats and ants and carried her to the home and cleaned her. This Home for Dying became more and more popular where the dying who had no place to go were brought and were given proper medical treatment."
.
.
Photographs were not allowed in this hospice, but I had seen the interior of this hospice in a documentary before. This hospice is very clean with alot of volunteers from all over the world. I saw a volunteer tending to a big open wound on a patient's head. It is very heart-warming to know that during the last few moments of their lives, they could leave this world peacefully and dignified in a proper place where they are cared and loved.
.
.
I also visited the Mother Teresa Museum, which is the place she lived and her resting place now. She iss an INSPIRATION, caring for the poorest of the poor. A woman with a BIG heart and EXTRAORDINARY strength. When Mother Teresa set up her missionaries of charity, she was alone on the street of Calcutta without any support, and the first sister/nun joined Mother Teresa only 3 years later. It's her faith in GOD that pulled her through those difficult times. Amazing.
.
.
.
One of the destitutes said something like that
"I was living like an animal on the street, however, Mother Teresa made me know that there is heaven on earth, and I could die and go to heaven now."
.
.
.
Living like an animal, what is that kinda experience?
I hope i'd never get to experience it
.
.




One of tiles on the wall along the way to Kali's temple.
.
.
.
It was a not-so-pleasant experience, as we were kinda conned by a priest to donate money. More importantly, we witnessed of the sacrificed of a small lamb. This little cute lamb was pulled to the sacrificing site, and when its legs were twisted to position its head on a v-shaped holder for chopping. This lamb was screaming at the top of its voice, then after a swing of the chopper, we saw a headless lamb body shaking on the floor with fresh blood oozing out of its neck.
.
.
it was quite gruesome, hence, 3 of us were even more determined to become a vegetarian for the rest of the trip.




Kids. =)




Locals playing cricket on the street.

2 comments:

Administrator said...

Hey, what a second. That's Hanyang, my classmate from Secondary School! You guys know each other?? This is such a small world. And of course, yun yun too.

Boon said...

Singapore is a damn small place lor... Yes. Hanyang is my Uni first year classmate. =)