Wednesday, January 2, 2008

After Trip Thoughts

Yes, I could make a tick to my to-do-list.
At least, i know that I would have one less regret at my death-bed.
.
.
.
something great about backpacking is the experiences
and most of time, these experiences would trigger you to think deeper about your life
.
.
.
On new year's eve, everybody was preparing for the countdown, the street was crowded, the restaurant was decorated and lighted up, and everybody was in holiday mood and ready to party till dawn. That evening, we were on the way to airport to catch a flight back to Singapore. As usual, when the cab stopped at the traffic junction, there would be kids running to knock your window asking for money. We gave a girl some money, and she demanded more. We did not give more, and she was quite persistent and pushed our window wider. I was abit annoyed, but after much pondering, why should i be annoyed? Would i do the same if i am in her position? Does she know that it's new year's eve evening? Does she even give a damn about new year's eve? She would be thinking how can she survive the cold winter night, She would be thinking how can I get more money from these tourists, and she would be thinking how not to be hungry tonight. To her, it's just another day of survival. I am wondering what's her dream? Does she even has a dream? What's the meaning of life for her?
.
.
.
What have she done to deserve this?
What have I done to enjoy what i have?
.
.
.
Along the trip, I constantly asked my travel-mates one question, and they asked me the same question also. If I am in their position, what would i do to break out of this vicious poverty cycle? There is no easy solution. Even if we could think of the solution, it will take a lot of determination and hard work. I still don't have a magical solution, and at the end of day, it's still voiced down to good clean government and good education.
.
.
.
This also reminded me of a young man we met on the train from Agra to Varanasi. He was on his way to take the entrance exam for IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), and he had spent alot of time preparing for the exam. He told us that he came from a poor family in Bihar and he hoped to go to MIT eventually. Statistically, it is tougher to get into IIT than MIT. We could sense his hunger for success and he was very proactive in getting to meet foreign visitors. With his intelligence and hunger, I am sure that he would make it big. He represents the future of India.
.
.
.
In the same train ride, yun and I were testing a 5 year-old girl. She is quite a genius, as she could remember alot alot of english words, and do simple mathematics addition and subtraction. I am very sure that I am not half as good as her when I was 5-years old. And she is one of the many genius-es in India.
.
.
There is alot hope for India
.
.
.
++++
.
.
.
On a more philosphical and spiritual level,
there were alot of moments when i contemplate about meaning of life.
I still don't have the answers, but i have more appreciation towards life.
.
.
.
When I was in my bed going to sleep soon. I felt frustrated that I was bitten by bed-bugs and that I fall sick, I started to think of the people living on the street during the cold winter night. What's my small discomfort compared to what they have to endure?
At least, I have a warm bed to sleep.
At least, I am sheltered from the cold wind.
At least, I have water and food.
.
.
.
I felt very lucky and fortunate.
And stop complaining (at least for a while)
.
.
May be all these small discomforts are ways that Buddha/God/Might-One wants me to experience, so that I could empathise with those who are less fortunates.
.
.
++++
.
.
.
Varanasi is a special place.
thousands and millions died there
how different am I from them?
We are all made of flesh
we came here with nothing
we will leave this world with no physical possession
Our bodies will go back to mother nature
I am a nobody
I am only a passerby on this face of earth
why don't I enjoy this journey before it's too late?
how do I enjoy this journey?
.
.
.
++++
.
.
.
Bodhgaya
I was moved to tears when I walked towards to Bodhi tree.
I was moved by the greatness and selflessness of Buddha who meditated there for the sake of all beings. And to find out the path to enlightenment for all beings.
.
I was happy to see thousands of monks and nuns who dedicated their lives for sake of enlightenment for themselves and all beings.
.
I am proud to be a Buddhist
.
.
.
++++
.
.
.
One thing that is consistent - nice people.
Meeting nice & helpful people will always make this trip memorable, and make my day happy.
We are fortunate to receive help from strangers and to meet interesting people from around the world.
.
.
.
++++
I have alot of thoughts and questions, but i do not have any conclusion or answers to many of them.
Well, i guess that's the good thing about backpacking - it makes you think constantly.

No comments: